Multi Industry School Based and Pre-Apprenticeship Support Project


AEN believe one of the main reasons that apprentice and trainee completion rates are low is that young people don’t have the opportunity to trial, experience and learn about a range of vocational options before having to “sign up” to a long commitment.

The Multi Industry Pre-Apprentice project aims to provide participants with the opportunity to have a “hands on” trial of 3-4 different industries during a course. The project also supports host employers as they can engage with a number of young participants through the project to find the best possible” fit” for their business.

The project is for:

  • students from years 10 and/or 11
  • existing unemployed people under 25

who might be interested in pursuing a vocational pathway in the future.

Group Training Organisations (GTO’s) from Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania are encouraged to design courses providing participants with a range of experiences which can be funded through the MIP project.

Project Targets

  • 1000 School Based Pre-Apprenticeships – Transitioning from school to work
  • 1000 Pre-Apprenticeships– Supporting unemployed youth into work.


Expression Of Interest

To become involved in the MIP project, GTO’s need to submit an Expression of Interest Form for each group of participants.

Useful Information

MIP Interview Questions

AAP Medianet News Release Template

Video Project Info

Participant EOI Landing Page

Download the Flyer here

Case Studies


Completed Programs

Project Guidelines


Do participants pay a fee?

NO, the funds are provided with the good faith understanding they are sufficient to not charge a fee to the participant

When do I need to have my Expression of Interests sent?

We would like to have you initial EOI with us by the 15th September 2018.

Who can participate?

• Anyone in school or in a non-school location undertaking years 10 or 11.

• Anyone who is no longer in school, is under 24 years of age and is not currently enrolled in an apprenticeship or traineeship.

*Updated* - Do participants have to be paid for work experience?

Nationally a  work placement within an education program maybe un paid – fair work information



  • No. Those enrolled in school in NSW are not to be paid due to insurance implications. If those not enrolled in school are not paid their host/GTO has no responsibility to worker’s compensation insurance, the RTO would have insurance for a student on work placement.


  • No. Those enrolled in school in Tasmania are not to be paid due to insurance implications.

Please see policy and procedure down below:

Please note that theses procedure stipulate that :

These procedures do not include the following:

  • Requirements for Vocational Education and Training (VET) placements.

These are the responsibility of the Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

  • Paid work situations (including Australian School-based Apprenticeships).
  • Industry Open Days and Industry Excursions:
  • Students attending a work site (supervised by a teacher) to tour the facilities, participate in activities, or to hear an industry representative speak, are considered to be on a school excursion. See Procedures for Planning Off-Campus Activities.

And that :

Students must not be paid, or given any in-kind remuneration unless the student is already under a contract of employment with the employer, as this may invalidate DoE insurance arrangements.

If students are paid by an employer (e.g. as a part-time worker or as a School-based Apprentice or Trainee) they become, for insurance purposes, the responsibility of the employer. They are no longer covered by DoE insurance. In this case the student needs to be covered by the employer’s insurance arrangements for worker’s compensation and other insurance e.g. personal accident.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Department of Education’s  Workplace Learning Procedures (work experience) they will need to contact Stuart Harvey on 03 6165 5761 or email

*Updated* - Who is responsible for Workcover?


  • For students at secondary school – see page 14 of the document above “Work Experience Manual for Victorian Secondary Schools”. Please note the Work Experience Arrangement Form on page 10.
    WorkSafe Insurance
    Students who suffer work related injuries or illnesses while undertaking work experience placements are entitled to compensation under the WorkSafe scheme.  All work experience students are covered under the Department’s WorkSafe Insurance policy.Employers of work experience students are exempt from the normal employer obligations to provide suitable employment or plan for the return to work of students who may be injured while undertaking a work experience placement.Also, employers of work experience students are not liable for any claims costs or consequent premium costs that may be incurred as a result of a work experience student lodging a WorkSafe claim.  Claims from work experience students are lodged against the Department’s WorkSafe Insurance policy and the costs are met under the Department’s policy.
  • For post-secondary education students – see page 3 of the document above “Practical Placement Guidelines for students of technical and further education”.
  1. WorkCover
    Students who are injured while undertaking a practical placement with an employer should be eligible to make a claim under the WorkCover insurance policy held by DEECD.Based on current advice, whether or not a practical placement student has been paid the minimum payment should not affect a student’s WorkCover insurance eligibility.  However, it should be noted that in the absence of a payment the student may not be eligible to claim for loss of earnings related to that placement.


  • NSW public and catholic school student’s insurance is covered by the Department/School provided the placement is UNPAID and a school approved placement. An agreement must be entered, it is available here Work placement agreement
    The respective policies are here:

    NSW Department of Education

    Catholic Education Commission NSW

    Private RTOs will carry their own student insurance policy.
    Employers are not required to have NSW worker’s compensation insurance for unpaid work experience students  Reference
  • Further InformationVolunteers and unpaid work experience students are not ‘workers’ under the Workers Compensation Act 1987 and you do not need to cover them with your workers compensation insurance policy. You still need to make sure that volunteers and work experience students have a safe working environment. This is known as ‘duty of care’.


  • You are if not enrolled in school (covered by DoE) or the placement is not covered by the RTO provider. Definition of ‘worker’ under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (WHS Act) – Worker: any person who carries out work for a PCBU, including work as an employee, contractor, subcontractor, self-employed person, outworker, apprentice or trainee, work experience student, employee of a labour hire company placed with a host employer and volunteers
  • Guide to Work Health and Safety Act
Are we restricted to skills shortage sectors?

No.  Your program needs to provide the participants with a range of industry experiences but these can be any career for which the entry point is an apprenticeship or traineeship.

Do we have to deliver an accredited qualification?

No.  The aim of this project is to provide participants with knowledge and experience in a range of different career opportunities.  This may be existing courses with additional electives/ customisation, a mix of units from various courses or a course you and your RTO develop to incorporate the interests of your cohorts and industry and may include work ready/trade taster programs previously/newly developed.

Is the training component further funded?

If you seek training funding additional the Multi Industry School Based and Pre-Apprenticeship Support Project Funding, you will need to explore this with your RTO/School. Many accredited certificate I and II programs are subsidised by the Victorian Training Guarantee, this is available without a training contract, however the VTG is not available to those enrolled in school.

My RTO has developed a really great course but it is not accredited. What can I do about this?

VRQA are working with AEN on this project and are willing to assist with the accreditation process of potential new pre-apprenticeship programs which provide a path into an apprenticeship or traineeship.

My RTO can access training funding if a full qualification is offer, what qualifications might be suitable to the Themes for the Multi Industry Pre Apprenticeships?
Click here for  a sample of qualifications with an amount of flexibility to provide a multiple range of experiences.
*New* - My program participant secured an apprenticeship prior to completing our Multi Industry Program, what payments is my GTO entitled to?
Provided a commencement payment has been made for this participant (still in the program at 3 months) and the reporting requirements of program completion (participant completion survey) and apprenticeship entry (training plan) is met, all payment milestones would be granted.
*New* - My participant completed my program and entered an apprenticeship with another entity in a different industry, do I or the GTO who employed the participant receive the apprenticeship/traineeship commencement payment?

The GTO providing the Multi Industry Program is entitled to report the apprenticeship commencement in any industry, employed by anyone for their participant provided it is within 6 months of the pre app program completion.  The GTO providing the Multi Industry Program is responsible for monitoring and supporting the progresssion of their participants into an Apprenticeship/Traineeship.

GTOs  employing Multi Industry Program participants who completed with an entity other than themselves are not entitled to claim a payment from AEN, however GTOs with approved programs may distribute the funds  to support the outcomes of the Multi Industry grant.

*New* - How many programs supported by the Multi Industry School Based and Pre Apprenticeship Support Pilot Project undertake?
The  GTO provider of the Multi Industry School Based and Pre Apprenticeship Support Pilot Project can decide on intakes and transfers, however only one commencement, completion and transition payment will be made per participant (USI) unless in writing  an exemption request has been made to and approved by AEN.
*New* - Are AEN able to share an overview of some of the programs proposed in EOIs to date?

Yes – examples of EOIs to date include the following combinations:

  • Electrical and Refrigeration
  • Carpentry, concreting, plastering, electrical, plumbing
  • Sheet Metal, fitting and turning and welding
  • Landscaping and construction
  • Hospitality, Retail and Business administration
  • Automotive and 3D printing
  • Carpentry, bricklaying, tiling and plastering

A delivery example is:

Programs – based on the theme/combinations providing:

  • Vocational skills and exploring pathways – includes field officer industry presentations, WHS and work readiness
  • Trade tasters – simulated ‘hands on’ experience and project work
  • Work placement – rotations at work sites
  • Review – participants share experiences
How is the training component funded?

Any training fees can be paid from the Multi Industry funds, fees for the delivery of programs in school are typically managed by the school. Your training provider for programs to those no enrolled in school may be able to access funds under  Smart and Skilled.

Who do I talk to with other questions?

Please contact Karen Bond on 0411 259 169, or Sue Kent on 0404 824 539, if you have any questions not answered here.