The Big Build Pre-Employment Support Program provides eligible candidates with pre-employment training, job preparation and support.
These four-week programs are offered between August and November 2023, to candidates who are intending to secure a full-time apprenticeship (up to 4 years) or traineeship (up to 2 years) in the construction sector.
- Running from August – November 2023, and offered over four weeks, the Pre-Employment Support Program consists of entry-level units of competency, employment readiness and supports to transition successful candidates into employment. The training will take place at Holmesglen’s Drummond Street Chadstone Campus.
- Prospective candidates will gain access to this program following a pre-selection process conducted by the Apprenticeship Employment Network (AEN) and assessment for Admission into the program by Holmesglen.
- Participants will be eligible to receive support payments while undertaking the program to remove barriers to participation.
- Participants will all receive personal protective equipment.
- Training will occur on-site at the TAFE training centre for 4 days per week, over 3 consecutive weeks.
- On the other day, group training organisation (GTO)s may arrange additional non-accredited employment preparation, industry visits, and provide mentoring.
- Attendance at all sessions will be required to qualify for completion of the program.
- Upon successful completion participants will have the opportunity of employment with a GTO in a construction related apprenticeship. Participants may be directly employed by a GTO where they may be rotated across a range of host employers for the duration of their apprenticeship.
- If successful in obtaining a job, participants should expect to perform most of their initial work on smaller projects before progressing to a Big Build project.
To be eligible, participants must be:
- Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Physically present in Victoria for the duration of the training provided and be committed to take on apprenticeship and traineeship opportunities in Victoria.
- In one of the under-represented cohorts in the construction sector, including: Women over 45, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, and People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds and long term unemployed.
Program 1: 11th of September to 29th September
Program 2: 2nd October to 20th of October
Program 3: 23rd of October to 13th of November (taking into consideration cup day)
Program 4: 20th of November to 8th of December
Course Units of Competencies
|Unit Code||Unit Title|
|CPCWHS1001||Prepare to work safely in the construction industry|
|RIIWHS201E||Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures|
|RIICOM201E||Communicate in the workplace|
|RIICCM201E||Carry out measurements and calculations|
|RIIRTM203E||Work as a safety observer/spotter|
|VU23410||Prepare to work in a civil construction environment|
|RIIBEF201E||Plan and organise work|
|RIISAM204E||Operate small plant and equipment|
How to Apply?
If you wish to apply for the Pre-employment Support Program, please submit an enquiry at
Course in Civil Construction Pathway | Melbourne TAFE Courses & Degrees, Victoria (holmesglen.edu.au)
1300 639 888